Friday, June 3, 2011

Jump- Seat Thoughts

As responsible Cabin Crew members we are trained to review the below mentioned sequence whenever we are seated in out allocated seat (jump seat) for the take off and landing of the aircraft.

Usually this is a time frame of approximately between 15 and 45 minutes depending on the factors such as the aircraft traffic etc. This time frame may vary depending on external conditions.

Soooo, we are supposed to review following sequence...

ALERT:

Aircraft type

Location of nearest Jump Seat

Equipment

Responsibilities and Duties

Threats

The above mentioned information should be considered while taking off and landing as these are the “critical phases” of a flight, so we can be fully aware of the actions that need to be taken in case of an emergency, but are we really religiously thinking ALERT thoughts when sitting on our jumpseat?

After catching myself thinking of the laundry I have to do once I am back home and what groceries to purchase, I have decided to speak to my co- workers and I have created an interesting collection of random and not so random thoughts besides being fully ALERT that are on our minds when sitting on a jump seat.

"Life."

    “For take off I look at my watch and I calculate the time we are supposed to land.”

    “ How do I feel?"

    “I cant hear the call bell, no I cant."

    “Layover plans, I cant wait to get there.”

    “I want to quit my job!”

    “Great flight”

    “Finalllyyyy!!!”

    “I always think of food, aircraft food, food at the layover, food when I am back home.”

    “Image of a landmark (Last time it was the Eiffel Tower)

    "Wine."

    “ Gosh, here i go again.

    “I am making conversation with the person sitting next to me, so that time will pass by quicker.”

    “Weird person.”

    “What to do?"

    Also, leisure activities on layovers are discussed, shopping trips are planned and experiences that are mostly not work related are shared.

    "Have you heared.... (this usually ends with some sort of gossip story)

    Some of crew like to sing...Yesterday it was a Bruno mars song.”

    Whatever it is we are thinking, discussing or feeling when sitting on a jump seat I must admit that we are awesome at multi tasking as besides being totally ALERT we hopefully made you smile reading the thoughts that are wandering through our minds... :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment